Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Viral BS

Viral BS: Medical Myths and Why We Fall for Them
Seema Yasmin
272 pages
John Hopkins University Press, 2021


From Goodreads: Can your zip code predict when you will die? Will testosterone supplements boost your libido? Should you space out childhood vaccines? Does talcum powder cause cancer? Why do some doctors recommend e-cigarettes while other doctors recommend you stay away from them? Health information--and misinformation--is all around us, and it can be hard to separate the two. A long history of unethical medical experiments and medical mistakes, along with a host of celebrities spewing anti-science beliefs, has left many wary of science and the scientists who say they should be trusted. How do we stay sane while unraveling the knots of fact and fiction to find out what we should really be concerned about, and what we can laugh off?

This book caught my attention because of our current Covid situation, marked by disinformation. It can be extremely frustrating when you know the science and facts, but others refuse them and continue spreading false information, so I thought maybe this book would show the way between fact and fiction and help set the record straight on some other medical misinformation, some of which has been spread for decades and then some. I was drawn in by the book's simple question and answer format in short chapters. What a great way to get information to the casual layperson who may or may not know what to believe anymore.

The first chapter was about weight-loss teas, which I've never believed in, but the descriptions of how they can actually be toxic are surprising. Even more shocking is that they aren't regulated in any way. Ditto vitamins and supplements. Yikes. Other topics I found interesting: the recent trend of eating your placenta after giving birth (my OBGYN asked me if I wanted it and in my drug induced haze I believe I said "Throw that shit out."), is trauma inherited, diet sodas in relation to Alzheimer's/stoke (I call Diet Coke "mom juice"), mammograms, statins, supplements, and fracking.

Ultimately and unfortunately, I don't think I was the intended target for this book. Most of the information presented was old news to me and I admit to skimming a few sections. The topics are explained in simple manner, which I sometimes found lacking or a little over generalized. As for the section on vaccines, well, you're never going to change anyone's mind on that so why bother. 

And I don't know if it's just because I have an advanced copy, but there is no bibliography or endnotes. For someone who gives us a numerical list in the appendix of what to look out for in deciding if something is true or false, the author doesn't provide the reader with much to go on besides studies mentioned in the text. Should we just take her word for it? (I mean, probably because this is published by a reputable university, but still.) 

If this sounds like something you're interested in, by all means get a copy and read it. I'm not saying it's poorly written beyond a couple over generalizations; but if you already have a great handle on viral medical mysteries, then I'd say this is one you can probably skip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

West Kill Heart

West Kill Heart Dann McDorman 288 pages Knopff From Goodreads: An isolated hunt club. A raging storm. Three corpses, discovered within four ...